It was important for Lavant to bounce back from last week’s cup semi-final defeat and focus on the remaining league programme in order to ensure that they firmly establish themselves in Division II.

The freezing swirling wind made control very difficult and this was always going to make it an ugly struggle for domination.

The visitors threatened early on when Andy Strange made a cross-field run into the penalty area latching onto a Giles Weller’s free-kick and lobbing Hunston keeper Richard Netley from a narrow angle only to see his effort nestle on top of the net.

With 20 minutes gone, Lavant again came close when Stuart Loversidge received a pass from Matt Hine, cut in from the right under pressure and struck the ball, beating keeper Netley only to see his effort zip inches wide of the far post.

Hunston responded well and when Daryl Hall failed to close down the homeside’s attack it allowed Attwood to get a shot on goal, with his effort clipping the Lavant crossbar. A minute later Hunston again came close when Lavant keeper Martin Pullen saved one goal bound effort only to turn the ball into the path of another Hunston striker whose shot was cleared off the line by Guy Pinder.

On 35 minutes Lavant central defender Martin Ayers broke through from the back to set up Hine who delivered a measured ball over to Loversidge whose shot this time shaved the Hunston bar. One minute later the home side where pressurizing the Lavant goal and almost broke the deadlock but the final shot hit the side netting. The first half eventually ended goalless with Hunston not being able to take full advantage of the wind, 0-0.

Hunston were the first to strike after the restart forcing a great save from Pullen on 56 minutes and then Newnham again clipped the Lavant crossbar.

Lavant manager Dave Parker had to take action to break the deadlock and on the hour pulled off central defender Guy Pinder bringing on substitute Robbie Pinder to play behind the two Lavant strikers. This exerted more pressure on Hunston which eventually paid off when Tom Parker on the right executed a step over, swept past his marker and crossed the ball over to the far post which was met by Loversidge breaking from deep who buried the ball into the back of the Hunston net on 75 minutes, 0-1.

Lavant reverted back to their original formation with 8 minutes remaining when substitute Jon Strange who came on in midfield changed to a central defender role in order to defend Lavant’s slender lead. This allowed the visitors see out the remainder of the game and bag three valuable points.

On the 25th March Lavant are away to Lancing Utd in the Div II League. Kick-Off 3.00pm.

Team: Martin Pullen, Justin Smith, Martin Ayers, Guy Pinder, Giles Weller, Chris Bowles, Matt Hine, Andy Strange, Daryl Hall, Stuart Loversidge, Tom Parker. Subs: Jon Strange, Robbie Pinder. Manager: Dave Parker.