Both teams were slow to start this match and for the first 15 minutes neither side threatened the opposing goal.

Then on 17 minutes Clymping took a surprised lead, counterattacking down the right hand side and beating the Lavant defense with a great through ball allowing their striker to get in on goal and duly bury the ball in the back of the net giving Martin Pullen no chance, 1-0.

Lavant responded well and immediately from the restart, when Daryl Hall broke down the wing and crossed to Stuart Loversidge but his subsequent header was easily saved by Will Campbell, in the Clymping goal.

Clymping began to pressurize the Lavant goal in a bid to double their lead. Lavant soaked up the pressure and with 4 minutes of the half remaining counterattacked with Loversidge breaking free only to be brought down by Campbell in the box, resulting in the referee awarding a penalty.

Tom Parker’s spot kick was well struck into the right hand corner of the net narrowing beating the diving Campbell, leveling the score at 1-1. The first half ended all square.

Robbie Pinder replaced the injured Martin Ayers at half time. Lavant started the second half with renewed vigor catching Clymping asleep. Loversidge latched onto Parker’s through ball but his shot which beat the keeper went just inches wide. Then with 10 minutes gone Parker chased down the ball and broke free of the Clymping defence, rounded the keeper and only had to walk the ball into the back of the net, unfortunately he decided to shoot from 18 yards out totally missing the empty goal and blowing a golden opportunity for Lavant to take the lead.

Clymping substitute Gary Campbell made an instant impact on the game crossing into the path of the incoming striker who’s shot hit the bar and bounced down over the line restoring their lead, 2-1.

This lead was however short lived, as Stuart Loversidge who had plagued the home sides defence all game was again up ended in the box and Lavant were awarded a second penalty. Parker stepped up and coolly sent the keeper the wrong way, leveling the score once again as well as making amends for his earlier miss, 2-2.

Substitutes Chris Bowles and Mike Martin freshened up the Lavant midfield and with 10 minutes remaining Lavant nearly took the lead after Giles Weller’s high level cross was met by Loversidge who’s shot was yet again agonizingly just wide of the Clymping goal.

In the dieing minutes Clymping almost snatched all three points after Pullen’s goal kick went short and straight to the incoming striker who ran into the box and unleashed a goal bound shot which somehow Pullen managed to keep out by pulled off a fantastic one handed save, maintaining the score at 2-2, which remained the same right to the final whistle.

Next week Lavant are home to Worthing BCOB in the Div II League. Kick-Off 2.00pm.

Team: Martin Pullen, Jon Strange, Martin Ayers, Simon Blackman, Giles Weller, Dan Johnson, Andy Strange, Matt Hine, Daryl Hall, Stuart Loversidge, Tom Parker. Subs: Mike Martin, Chris Bowles, Robbie Pinder. Manager: Dave Parker.