Lavant played away to Stedham this week in the league and the spectators who turned out to watch the match experienced an exciting game full of action and plenty of goals.

Both teams started the game at a frantic pace and within 5 minutes and slightly against the run of play Lavant opened the scoring. Mike Martin’s accurate through ball found Simon Watling whose low level drive beat the Stedham keeper, 0-1.

Lavant almost added a second on 12 minutes after Daryl Hall’s cross was flicked on by Ben Thomas to Stuart Lowersidge, who’s shot went just over the Stedham bar from 10 yards.

Stedham came back into the game threatening the Lavant goal and drew level on 21 minutes when Martin Pullen just failed to keep out a long range shot, 1-1.

Four minutes later Matt Hine restored Lavant’s lead after latching onto a Loversidge corner and subsequent flick by Jon Strange, 1-2.

Stedham again levelled the score on 36 minutes after the Stedham striker beat the back line and just managed to hook the ball around the out coming keeper, 2-2.

Two minutes later Lavant again regained the lead following a fine move involving Loversidge, Watling and Ben Thomas, who rifled the ball into the back of the Stedham net from just inside the box. Lavant managed to see out the remaining five minutes of the first half, holding on to their slender lead. Half time score, 2-3.

Within 2 minutes of the re-start Stedham again drew level. Following a corner the ball was deflected off Justin Smith just four yards out of the goal into the path of the out coming Stedham striker who turned and buried the ball into the back of the net from close range, 3-3.

On 60 minutes Lavant once again restored their lead. Daryl Hall’s free kick was flicked on by Robbie Pinder to Loversidge who duly dispatched the ball into the back of the Stedham net, 3-4.

Five minutes later and for the final time Stedham again drew level, this time scoring their best goal of the match, breaking out down the wing, crossing the ball into the box and decisively dispatching the ball into the back of the Lavant net, giving Pullen no chance, 4-4.

Shortly afterwards Lavant had a great chance to retake the lead once more after Mark Richardson beat the defence and crossed square to Watling who skewed his shot just wide of the Stedham post.

Both sides had chances to win the game in the remaining minutes and Stedham certainly finished the stronger team and hitting the bar, but the Lavant defence lead by Martin Ayers was resolute and the game ended a draw, 4-4.

Next week Lavant are away to Rottingdean Reserves in the Sussex Junior Cup. Kick Off 1.30pm.

Team: Martin Pullen, Justin Smith, Martin Ayers, Jon Strange, Daryl Hall, Ben Thomas, Mike Martin, Matt Hine, Mark Richardson, Simon Watling, Stuart Loversidge. Subs: Andy Strange, Simon Blackman, Robbie Pinder. Manager: Dave Parker.