Lavant Reserve Team
Backrow: Joe Hepworth, Dave Morris, Jon Strange, Stuart Eastwood, Chris Bowles Robbie Pinder, Guy Pinder, Dave Maclean.
Frontrow: Christian Swain, Andy Strange, Dan Johnson, Dave Kent (Manager), Simon Blackman, Nick Farrer, Mike Martin

Lavant Reserves final game of the season never lived up to expectations as they had to settle with a draw on Saturday playing in weather conditions typical of April showers.

Visitors Highdown Hornets,who were having a much improved second half of the season, were up for this game and this was evident for much of the first twenty minutes, as both sides battled it out in midfield making no real progress on each others goals.

Lavant keeping their shape started to move the ball around the pitch and eventually started to press the visitors half.  Both Pinder brother’s had good chances to open the scoring.  Firstly from Christian Swain’s corner, Robbie Pinder headed inches wide of the far post and five minutes later Andy Strange’s corner was heading goal bound this time by Guy Pinder, before it was deflected off the defender and went wide of goal.

With minutes of the half remaining Lavant should have taken the lead as Swain broke down the wing then cut inside before squaring the ball back to the waiting Robbie Pinder, a yard out from goal, but somehow he missed the target from close range, 0-0.

The second half saw Lavant start the livelier as they capitalized on playing with the strong wind and again should have taken the lead when Guy Pinder was agonisingly only inches away from connecting onto a lovely pass right across the visitor’s six yard box.

Lavant then paid the price for not capitalizing on their chances as Hornets long clearance was not dealt with by full back Dan Johnson allowing substitute John Langridge to run through and open the scoring, 0-1.

With half an hour to play Lavant made three changes and it was substitute Nick Farrer who drew the game level with 15 minutes remaining scoring from close range from Joe Hepworth’s cross, 1-1.

Minutes after the restart a long clearance again from the visitors saw Lavant keeper Chris Bowles race out of his box to clear the ball, but failing to read a wicked bounce he misjudged his kick and the ball broke free to the thankful Darren Gibbs who ran on past and scored into the empty net, 1-2.

With only seconds remaining on the clock and a humiliating defeat looming, Lavant were awarded a free kick just inside the Hornet’s half after a late tackle on Mike Martin.

Simon Blackman skilfully lofted the ball high and deep into the visitors goal mouth and as they frantically tried to clear the ball, it dropped to Dave Maclean who somehow drilled his shot home past a crowd of players and the Hornet’s goalkeeper, all to the delight of everyone in the Lavant team, making the final score, 2-2.

Team: C.Bowles, S.Blackman, D.Johnson, S.Eastwood, J.Strange, D.Morris, C.Swain, M.Martin, A.Strange, R.Pinder, G.Pinder. Subs: J.Hepworth, D.Maclean, N.Farrer.