Goal-Fest At Raughmere Park

Darren Cox chasing down the ball

Lavant Reserves 6 Wisborough Green Reserves 5

Lavant start well and took immediate control the game as the first quarter of an hour saw them camped in the visitors half. Zac Moy came close to opening the scoring after five minutes, with his shot just wide of the right post and minutes later Tim Dockerill clear through on goal squared the ball to Moy who’s should have given Lavant an early lead, but frustratingly for the striker the shot went just wide of the goal again.

So it was really against the run of play that Wisborough Green on their first attack of the game gained and converted the penalty, after Dave Kennard was adjudged to commit a foul just inside the box. 0-1

Lavant were level 5 minutes later as a through ball by James Hubbard, let Dockerill get clear of the defence before lobbing the out-coming  keeper. 1-1

With 30 minutes gone Lavant should have taken the lead as once more Moy broke free on goal, but his shot was again agonisingly wide of the post.  Then minutes later another clumsy tackle down the other end of the pitch, just outside the Lavant box gave the visitors another opportunity from a dead ball situation, which they took beating the outstretched Lewis Fogden, to take the lead once more. 1-2

The remaining ten minutes of the half saw Lavant once more push forward, taking the game to the visitors and with minutes to go to half time a great move starting with Kennard breaking down the right flank, squaring the ball across the box into James Scutt who pulled the ball back into the oncoming Moy who shot from just outside the box scoring into the top corner. 2-2

Lavant attacking Wisborough Green’s goal

The second half saw Lavant immediately push forward once more, with Moy giving Lavant the lead for the first time in the game, two minutes into the half. 3-2

Much of the second half saw both sides have chances to score and with Lavant making five changes in the half the team’s balance was somewhat changed, somewhat stifling  their chances of getting a two goal lead, with their best chance falling to Dockerill whose shot clipped the bar from long range.

So with five minutes remaining as Lavant settled for working down the clock, a mistake between Curtis Searle and keeper Fogden gifted the visitors a walk-in equaliser, ensuring the cup game would go to extra time. 3-3

Extra time saw the visitors take the lead once more as their striker latching onto a Lavant short back pass scoring past the stranded keeper. 4-3.

Lavant on the attack again

Then with five minutes remaining Dockerill once more clear through rounded the keeper before being taken out and winning a penalty, with the keeper escaping with only a yellow card. James Hubbard’s  spot kick low to the right was met by the keeper but thankfully the ball still ended up in the back of the net as Lavant drew level once more. 4-4

Following the break and a roasting from manager Adam Yaxley and captain John Price, Lavant once more forced the visitors back into their own half. A long range shot from Hubbard was only palmed away by the keeper allowing Ollie Hamlett to react quickest and score from close range. 5-4.

Minutes later Moy once more beat the offside trap and rounded the keeper to walk the ball into the gaol, giving Lavant for the first time in the game a two goal lead.

But Wisborough Green never gave up until the final whistle and following a flurry of corners, one finally paid off heading in from close range past Yaxley at the far side of the goal. 6-5.

From the restart Lavant held onto the ball and saw out the remaining two minutes of extra time. Thankfully averting a penalty shootout and booking their place into the next round of the Chichester Charity Cup .

Lewis Fogden, Dave Kennard, Joe Newton, Darnell Patrick, (C) John Price, James Scutt, James Hubbart, Adam Yaxley, Tim Dockerill, Zac Moy, Ben Price. Subs: Curtis Searle-Lunnon, Darren Cox, Robbie Lake, Sam Chatfield, Ollie Hamlett.

Game over and into the next round to face Felpham Colts Mens away on the 23rd November