This week Lavant Reserves travelled the short distance to play away at Harting in Div V South league clash.

Fresh from last week’s victory Lavant Reserves started the game well and somewhat shocked a Harting side who are currently in the top three in the league and whom may have thought playing lowly Lavant was going to be an easy game.

In fact for the first 30 minutes Lavant frustrated Harting playing much of the game in their half.  However Harting held firm and still looked dangerous on the break.  It was on once such break that the home side attacked on the right flank and as Dan Johnson raced across to defend on the edge of the box he was adjudged to take the player not the ball and Harting were awarded a penalty.

Chris Bowles fresh from a penalty save last week was unlucky with the spot kick, he dived the right way but the ball hit a divot in the ground and bounced up over the keeper and into the back of the net giving Harting a 1-0 lead.

Still shocked from the goal Lavant allowed Harting to control the game and 10 minutes later they doubled their lead as a cross from the left flank way poorly defended giving the Harting striker a free header in the six yard box which he gratefully accepted, allowing Harting to go into half time with a 2-0 lead.

At half time Lavant manager Dave Kent rallied the team who were despondent to have so much of the game and still be 2-0 down.  Lavant responded positively and started the second half well attacking the Harting goal.  For long periods of the half Lavant pressurized Harting but were unable to make the final shot count.   Harting also were dangerous on the counter attack and Matt Gliaubertus cleared off the Lavant goal line to prevent Harting further increasing the lead.

With ten minutes remaining the Lavant pressure finally paid dividends as Danny Kenyon worked the ball out to the left flank to Mike Howes who’s eventual cross was met by the head of DJ Wright who gave the Harting keeper on chance scoring into the top corner of the goal.

The remaining minutes were all Lavant as they tried hard to level the score with chances falling to Carl Drinkwater and Wright.  However Harting held on into injury time to win the game and collect all three points.  Lavant unfortunately had run out of time and Harting in the end were glad the final whistle was blown.  Lavant were disappointed by the result but the performance was positive and hopefully their fortunes will change next week when they entertain Graffham Reserves at home.

Team: C.Bowles, M.Carver, D.Johnson, J.Smith, O.Haggar, D.Kenyon, M.Martin, C.Drinkwater, A.Yaxley, DJ.Wright, M.Howes.  Subs: A.Strange, G.Weller, M. Gliaubertus.