Charlie Selby head’s in Lavant’s 5th goal of the game

Lavant hosted championship side Horsham Crusaders in the 1st round of the Centenary Cup on a very wet windy Saturday afternoon.

Within one minute from kick-off Lavant were one-nil up as they carved through the visitors defence with Zac Moy finishing of the move slotting the ball home past the keeper, 1-0.

Still suffering front the shock of conceding such an early goal the Crusaders struggled to get a foothold and on 20 minutes the homeside’s constant pressure paid off as James Hubbard’s delightful volley made it 2-0.

Two further goals followed in quick succession with a goal for Josh Castle and a second of the game for Moy.

With five minutes remaining of the first half Moy’s corner was met by captain Charlie Selby who headed in the homeside’s fifth goal of the half, 5-0.

Right on half-time Aaron Hancock scored the homeside’s sixth goal of the game, driving his shot home low into the corner, ensuring that on paper there was little chance of a Crusaders cup comeback, 6-0.

The second half saw Lavant make wholesale changes to the side and within 10 minutes of the re-start they extended their lead further as Moy’s through ball was met by sub Jordan Clark, who slotted home the ball past the outcoming keeper, 7-0.

Clark’s speed was causing real trouble up front as he beats the visitor back line to break down the right wing before picking out Mike Rogerson at the far post, to thump home Lavant’s eighth goal from close range, 8-0.

Castle added his second of the game and Lavant’s ninth before the final whistle, capping off an outstanding performance from the homeside, 9-0.

MOM: Zac Moy
Goal Scorers: Zac Moy x2, Josh Castle x2, James Hubbard, Charles Selby, Aaron Hancock, Jordan Clark, Mike Rogerson
Team: Luke Terry, Charles Griggs, Charles Selby (c), Jake O’Brennan, Matt Little, Freddie Mercer,
James Hubbard, Billy Pope, Josh Castle, Aaron Hancock, Zac Moy. Subs: Josh Hubbard, Mike Rogerson, Matt Dacombe, Jordan Clark, Danny Hillyer.