The cup final was played at Grafham.

Lavant Cup Final at Graffham

Back row: Richard Sargent, Duncan Terry, Simon Homer, Peter Lovegrove, Kevin Masey, Shaun Wheeler, Cliff Massey.
Front row: Deane Heath, Steve Brooker, Martin Court, Matt Court, Alex Krumb, Tony Drinkwater.

Lavant Cup Final at Graffham 1 Webpic_1

Matt Court walking off with the Div V Cup

Lavant Cup Final at Graffham 2 Webpic

The players move away after the team photo was taken.
What the interest on the goal?

Peter Lovegrove at Cup Final Graffham Webpic_1

Lavant stalwart Peter Lovegrove with his winners trophy.

Cliff Massey holding up the Div IV Cup April May 1997 Webpic

Later back at the Huntersl Lodge pub in Lavant,  Kevin Massey and player manager Cliff Massey raises the trophy.

Martin Court holding the Div IV Cup April May 1997 Webpic

Martin Court with Trophy.

Match Report Chichester Observer May 8th 1997 edition, page 42.

Top quality football as Division 4 final thrills to the finish

For goals and excitement, come to Covers West Sussex Football League Cup finals. In the Tony Kopp cup – competed for by northern teams Division 3 and below – Faygate beat Southwater reserves 3-0.

Unfortunately, this game did not match others in quality.  Then came the Division 4 final when expectations of good football are never high.

This year this final defied the expectations and in a game full of good football and tremendous excitement Lavant scored ninth and winning goal in the 90th minute of normal time.

This finish could not have been expected after the all conquering Harting took a 3-0 lead after 30 minutes. The expected avalanche started as early as 15 minutes when Kite bundled the ball in form a corner and ten minutes later Farr added the second.

On the half hour it was Kite again, this time he superbly turned his marker and fire in. Lavant’s only real reply was from Court, who hit the bar with a superb cross shot from wide out on the left and a disallowed effort after Hartings third.

The turning point of the game when Lavant, at last, had a large slice of luck when just before the break a scramble in the Harting area resulted in the ball bouncing in off a defender.

What was said in the half time break I have no idea, but I am sure many league managers would like to know Lavant’s secret.  They put Harting under pressure and Kite, who had been outstanding in the first half, stopped flying and was withdrawn into midfield.

If I can identify one reason for the change in fortunes, the lack of Harting’s confidence in their ability to pressure their opponents was it.

Court scored Lavant’s second ten minutes into the half, Terry levelled the score and with 20 minutes left Heath put them into the lead for the first time.

Kite however got back into the action on one occassion when he engineered and equaliser for Farr and with extra time expected, a ball from somewhere deep bobbled through the whole Harting defence and in apparent slow motion ended in the back of the net.

One person not to appreciate the significance of the goal was Lavant’s Drinkwater, who was knocked out for 20 minutes after a clash with Kite.  Those who were there will be pleased to know that he was sent home from St Richards later that evening.  Winner of the Man of Match award was James Glue of Harting.