This week’s game saw Lavant Reserves play host to Ambassadors Reserves at Raughmere Park on a very wet and windy day, which made ground conditions very heavy.

After the success of the last two matches Lavant appeared to underestimate their opponents for this weeks game and assumed that all three points were only a matter of course. An attitude, which would cost them dearly in the end.

For long periods of the first half Lavant were encamped in the visitors end, but were overall ineffective in front of goal and lacked the urgency to take the initiative.

Carl Drinkwater’s overhead kick on the edge of the area needed the Ambassadors goalkeeper to pull of a good save, just managing to get a hand on the shot, pushing the ball onto the bar and away to safety and Lavant’s Dave Brown on his debut for the Saturday team also came close when his header scrapped the cross bar.  However apart from these efforts Lavant’s clear-cut chances were few and far between.

Ambassadors were quick on the counterattack and had gone close with two previous efforts but Lavant keeper Dave Kent twice reduced the angle and forced the shot over the bar.  With half an hour gone the visitors once again broke out on the counterattack down the left wing, crossing the ball across the 6 yard box past the stranded Dave Kent who could only turn and dive the other way in an attempt to get a hand onto the shot of the unmarked player at the far right post, who made no mistake at close range giving Ambassadors a one nil lead going into half time.

Lavant coach Mike Kent gave the home side a tough half time talk in an attempt to get the team motivated and right back into the game.  The match, however, did not go to plan as shortly after kick off Lavant left back Giles Weller slipped up with the ball on the edge of the Lavant box, allowing the Ambassadors striker to run through clear one on one with the keeper, and score from close range into the top left corner of the Lavant goal, 0-2.

Shocked to be two nil down, finally Lavant raised their game and for the remainder of the match had the visitors firmly entrenched in their own half. Lavant brought on fresh legs with Adam Yaxley and Roy Gibbs with over half an hour remaining.  Gibbs made an immediate impact when his long clearance down the left flank was picked up by Chris Withall, who crossed into the box to the incoming Dave Brown who scored, bringing Lavant right back into the game with just over 10 minutes remaining.

The play was now all Lavant and the busy Dave Brown put Adam Yaxley through into the box one on one with the keeper, but his shot deflected up and smashed against the cross bar somehow failing to cross the goal line, denying Lavant the chance to draw level.

In the dying minutes of the game Ambassadors were adjudged to have handled the ball, which was clearly inside the penalty area, however the referee deemed the free kick was just outside the box.  The subsequent free kick was in a great position, right in front of the goal, but unfortunately Dave Brown’s strike was hit straight into the path of the keeper, there ending Lavant’s final chances of salvaging something from the game.

Lavant Reserves next game is away to Fernhurst Reserves on the 20th January 07.

Team: D.Kent, M.Howles, M.Carver, G.Weller, O.Haggar, A.Strange, D.Maclean, D.Brown, J.Hird, C.Withall, C.Drinkwater: Subs: A.Yaxley, R.Gibbs.