This week’s game saw Lavant Reserves put in their best performance so far this season convincingly beating Tangmere 6-1 away from home.

Tangmere started the match the stronger of the two sides forcing the visitors to defend their own half for the first quarter of the game and they almost took the lead when a shot on the edge of the box had keeper Chris Bowles beaten, but the ball bounced off the cross bar and up and over to safety.

Lavant responded almost immediately when Dave Maclean won the ball from a Tangmere throw-in and then skilfully slotted the ball through to D J Wright on the right flank.  Wright accelerated past the left back and drove the ball home from 20 yards giving the keeper no chance, 0-1.

Ten minutes later Lavant doubled their tally when Chris Withall broke free drawing two Tangmere defenders over to the right flank before unselfishly squaring the ball across the face of the box to the incoming Adam Yaxley who slotted the ball home from 16 yards, 0-2.

Tangmere still shocked at being two nil down were struggling to settle and with Lavant playing some good one touch football they further extended their lead when Wright broke down the right, crossing into the box to Yaxley, who’s shot was well saved by the keeper, but Withall was on hand to finish giving Lavant a deserved 0-3 lead.

With ten minutes of the first half still remaining there was still time for two more goals.  Firstly, Chris Withall scored his second goal of the match from a well-worked move involving Jimmy Hird, Dave Maclean and Andy Strange, 0-4.  Then on the stroke of half time Withall was adjudged to foul a Tangmere player on the edge of the Lavant box, giving away a penalty.  Chris Bowles having lots of practice over the past weeks with penalties, judged the spot kick the right way getting an outstretched hand on the ball but the power of the shot unfortunately saw the ball strike the back of the Lavant net, giving Tangmere hope of staging a recovery in the second half, 1-4.

With Roy Gibbs injured Lavant were forced into making a change at half time bringing on Mike Howes.

Lavant were prepared for the Tangmere onslaught at the start of the second half and with defenders Mat Carver, Dan Johnson and Dave Kent in no mood to concede the lead they made it very hard for Tangmere to make any headway during the opening fifteen minutes.

Lavant’s Mike Howes also made an immediate impact on the game causing problems down the right flank and as the Tangmere full back failed to clear his cross the ball fell to Adam Yaxley on the edge of the box who drilled the ball home, giving him his second goal of the game and further extending Lavant’s lead, 1-5.

With over thirty minutes remaining Carl Drinkwater replaced Yaxley in the Lavant attack adding renewed impedous and when Tangmere failed to defend Bowles long-range kick.

Chris Withall was once again quick to take advantage, as he raced through one on one with the keeper and skilfully slotted the ball home, scoring a well-deserved hat trick and putting the game beyond Tangmere, 1-6.

With 25 minutes remaining Oli Haggar replaced Kent and with Hird dropping back into defence for Lavant, Haggar’s introduction gave the visitors a fresh pair of legs in midfield as they continued to pressure the Tangmere goal right to the final whistle still attempting to further extend the lead.

Next week Lavant Reserves are home to Ambassadors Reserves.

Team: C.Bowles, M.Carver, D.Johnson, D.Kent, R.Gibbs, A.Strange, D.Maclean, D.J.Wright, J.Hird, C.Withall, A.Yaxley: Subs: M.Howes, C.Drinkwater, O.Haggar.