This week’s match at Raughmere park, Lavant was a great game of football to watch if you were a spectator, with nine goals, a booking, a sending off and the winner being scored in the final minutes of the game.

Lavant started well dominating the beginning of the match and almost opened the scoring early on when a Dan Johnson’s free kick was met by Matt Price, who’s shot went agonisingly just wide of the far post.  Minutes later however Lavant took the lead when Carl Drinkwater scored a great goal diving to head home from a Matt Price corner, 1-0.

Then again on 15 minutes Matt Price caused the Rustington defence more trouble as they failed to deal with his corner and following a goal mouth scramble which saw Daryl Hall’s shot cleared off the line, Carl Drinkwater pounced once again and buried the ball into the back of the net giving Lavant a deserved 2-0 lead.

Rustington raised their game from the kick-off and should have pulled one back, but Jarvis’s goal bound shot was superbly saved by the outstretched hands of Lavant keeper Chris Bowles.

With 25 minutes gone Lavant’s Mike Howes cross was met by Chris Withall leaving the keeper stranded in the middle of the box, with the ball falling to Price who’s shot was somehow cleared off the line by the Rustington defender.   With Lavant still wondering why they had not gone 3-0 up, Rustington cleared the ball down to Jarvis who broke clean through on goal hammering home the ball at close range past Bowles, 2-1 and allowing Rustington to go into half time very much in the game.

The second half also started lively for different reasons and with only 5 minutes gone an off the ball incident saw Darly Hall for Lavant being booked and a Rustington player sent off for kicking out at the Lavant player.  Now down to 10 men Rustington should have been struggling to stay in the game but far from it as they continued to pressurize the Lavant box and deservedly drew level on 57 minutes when Bowles failed to prevent Jarvis adding to his tally, 2-2.

Three minutes later Rustington took the lead after Bowles failed to hold on to ball from a corner with it dropping into the path of Darcy who scored into the empty goal, 2-3.

Three minutes later Lavant this time levelled the score when Chris Withall met Mike Howes cross from the right flank burying the ball into the back of the net from close range, 3-3.

Seconds from the kick-off Rustington once again took the lead.  Jarvis received the ball from the spot kick and seeing the Lavant keeper off his line despatched a shot from well in his own half which caught Bowles by surprise who could only parry the ball into the back of his own net, 3-4.

Five minutes later Chris Withall doubled his tally heading an equaliser again for Lavant, 4-4.

With 20 minutes remaining there was still time for more goals and Jarvis almost took the lead for Rustington once more, but his long range shot bounced off the cross bar to safety.

With minutes remaining Lavant saved their best football for last as the hard working Danny Kenyon picked the ball up in mid field breaking down the right flank and crossing into the box, his cross was skilfully headed down by Withall into the path of Matt Price who broke clear and buried the ball into the back of the Rustington goal, securing eventually all three points for Lavant, 5-4.

Team: C.Bowles, M.Carver, D.Johnson, M.Gliaubertas, M.Howes, D.Kenyon, A.Strange, D.Hall, C.Drinkwater, C.Withall, M.Price:  Subs: O.Haggar, R.Gibbs, J.Smith.