Lavant 5 TD Shipley 3

Saturday Lavant welcomed TD Shipley to Raughmere Park for another tough game against a side that knocked Lavant out the Centenary Cup last season and will certainly be challenging for the league title this season

Within two minutes from kick off the visitors were somewhat shocked to find themselves one-nil down as Lavant played some great possession football, as Kieran Dowell picked out Josh Castle in the six yard box for him to slot the ball under the keeper and into the empty net. 1-0.

With 15 minutes gone, Lavant then went two-nil up as Charles Griggs through ball down the right flank is picked up by Castle, who battles with the centre half before slotting past the advancing keeper into the bottom right corner. 2-0

Ten minutes later Lavant further extend their lead as Zac Moy’s cross picks out that man Josh Castle again, who attacks the back post to score past the advancing keeper, giving him his hat-trick and Lavant a resounding three-nil lead within the first 25 minutes of the game. 3-0

Finally TD Shipley get a foothold in the game as their top scorer Ollie Broad pulls a goal back with 29 minutes gone on the clock. 3-1

The visitors comeback was short lived as seven minutes later Lavant restored their lead as Josh Castle latched onto a through ball from Aaron Hancock, to go one on one with the keeper, before claiming his 4th goal of the match. 4-1

With 6 minutes of the half remaining Lavant completed a dominant first half performance as Josh Castle smashed home his fifth of the game finishing off a free flowing move down the left wing resulting in the cross being attacked by Castle and placed into the top corner. 5-1

The second half saw TD Shipley take a new approach to the game, to see if they could recover from the four goal deficit, while Lavant with a full sub’s bench took advantage of the score line to change the team around.

So the second half proved to be a much closer affair and it took 25 minute for the deadlock was finally broken as the visitors pulled a goal back. 5-2.

The game continued in much the same vein, an even battle with both sides trying to score. And just as it looked that the game would be ending with a five-two scoreline, with 4 minutes remaining referee Darren Boult awarded a very soft penalty to the visitors, who despatched the well taken spot kick past keeper Luke Terry. 5-3.

But time had all but run out for the visitors, as Lavant were able to see out the final few minutes of the game, to bag all three precious points and take note of a great performance against a tough side.

Final score Lavant 5 TD Shipley 3.

Team: Luke Terry, Charles Griggs, Dan Cox, Jake O’Brennan, Matt Lyttle (c), Aaron Hancock, Kieran Dowell, Matt Noble, Zac Moy, Kieran Hartley, Josh Castle.
Subs: Jordan Clark, Mason Haga-Hammond, George Cody, Charles Selby, Freddie Mercer.
Management: John Price, Ash Rochester, John Wickenden