Hunston vs Lavant Centenary Cup


Lavant Reserves 0 Selsey A 3
Division III Cup

After an early morning pitch inspection, this Division III cup game got the go ahead and it had the potential of being a real cliff-hanger, as when these two teams met in previous seasons it was always a close run game with plenty of goals.

Lavant started the match with so much promise, as they immediately put the visitors on the back foot, exerting pressure on Selsey’s goal. Good work in the middle of the park by Matt Hine and James Brooks ensured Lavant were camped in the visitors half for much of the first quarter of an hour of the match.

On 20 minutes the game turned, after a succession of corners and continued pressure Lavant should have taken the lead, but instead the Selsey rearguard stood firm and ensured the game somehow still remained goalless.

From that point on, the visitors settled down and grew in confidence as they started to push forward and so the game became more evenly balanced.

Then just as it looked as if the score would remain goalless going into the break Selsey’s Paulo hit a speculative long range shot from outside the box, which caught keeper Tom Turner off guard as the ball sneaked in, right in the top right hand corner, ensuring the visitors now went into half time with a precious one nil lead, 0-1.

Straight from the restart Lavant pushed forward with a renewed determination in the effort to grab an early equaliser.  But again Selsey proved hard to breakdown as they were well organised at the back and quickly got their players back behind the ball.

Lavant’s frustration at not finding a way through on goal was further exasperated when they lost possession cheaply in midfield and got caught by a quick counterattack, which saw Selsey striker Martin Cannon break free of the defence and drive the ball past the outcoming Turner in the Lavant goal, 0-2.

With Lavant’s cup hopes beginning to disappear for another season manager Mel Milburn made wholesale changes to the side.   Unfortunately the eventual outcome was very much the same.

Although Lavant continued to have their fair share of the ball, they were really unable to threaten the visitor’s goal, as Selsey once more soaked up the pressure and with fifteen minutes remaining scored a carbon copy goal, as Cannon grab his brace ensuring Selsey confirmed their passage into the next round of the league cup.

Lavant: T. Turner, S.Green, D. Ranjbar, P.Cairns, M.Ayers, D.Kennard, B.Evans, M.Hine, J.Brooks, R.Lines, R.Pinder.  Subs: L.Weller, J.Wright, J.Walsh.

Saturdays Results

Premier Division
Billingshurst 1-4 Angmering
Cowfold 4-0 West Chiltington

Division I
Stedham Utd 0-4 Petworth

Division II North
Alfold 1-1 Wisborough Green
Partridge Green 4-3 AFC Roffey

Division II South
Boxgrove 4-0 The Vardar Vip FC
Lodsworth 1-2 Fernhurst

Division III North
Fittleworth 2-2 Henfield 2nd
Upper Beeding 2nd 7-0 Forest Reserves

Division V Central
Wisborough Green 2nd 1-1 Alfold 2nd

Sussex Junior Cup – Rnd 4
Yapton 1-0 Vista FC

Division II Charity Cup – Rnd 2
Lavant 2nd 0-3 Selsey FC ‘A’