Lavant made hard work of their victory Saturday, perhaps underestimating the determination of a Lodsworth side who currently reside in the lower half of the league.

Both teams started the game slowly with neither team keeping the ball long enough to take control of the game.  If fact, some sloppy passing by Lavant in their own half almost gifted Lodsworth the lead as their striker broke clear on the right wing, but the cross was well cut out by keeper Martin Pullen.

With seven minutes gone Lavant opened the scoring.  Christian Swain was brought down abruptly on the edge of the box and up stepped Matt Hine to strike the free kick over the wall and into the top of the goal giving the keeper no chance, 1-0.

Five minutes later Lavant were 2-0 up as Hine controlled the ball deep in the Lodsworth half and with Scott Yaxley drawing the defender wide right, Hine was able to break inside and unleash his shot on the edge of the box, beating the Lodsworth keeper for the second time in a short duration, 2-0.

Lavant were now cruising 2-0 up with only 10 minutes on the clock and they should have gone even further ahead after Mark Richardson skipped past four players and passed across the six-yard box, but to his dismay no one was able to apply the finishing touch.

Against the run of play Lodsworth almost pulled one back when their long throw, deep into Lavant’s box was not cleared as the visiting striker shot from close range smashing the ball against the post.

This gave the visitors renewed hope and with 5 minutes of the half remaining, Lavant again caught in possession in their own half allowed Lodsworth back into game, as full back Dan Johnson and keeper Pullen indecisiveness as to who went for the Lodsworth through ball allowed the Lodsworth striker to steal in and half the deficit, 2-1.

The second half was evenly contested and with 10 minutes gone referee Joe Johnson awarded an extremely harsh penalty for a push on a Lodsworth player, for which they duly dispatched the spot kick, levelling the score, 2-2.

With 30 minutes remaining Lavant brought on all three subs in an attempt to up the tempo and this seemed to work as Lodsworth were forced to defend for long periods of the remainder of the game.

Then with 15 minutes remaining Lavant were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and Matt Hine again stepped up and for the second time drilled home the free kick, 3-2, ensuring Lavant took all three points from the game and he made it two hat tricks in two games.

Team: M.Pullen, S.Blackman, D.Johnson, J.Strange, S.Yaxley, C.Swain, M.Richardson, A.Strange, M.Price, A.Yaxley, M.Hine. Subs: D.Morris, D.Hall, R.Lines.