Lavant 1 Lancing 2

WebPicLavantvsLancing150912 min silence for John Squires

Preparing for a minutes silence before the game

Before the match, there was a one minute silence to mark the death of 67 year old John Squires, a former player, supporter and, with his wife, sponsor of Lavant FC.

The game was a classic long ball side against a passing team. For the first half, Lavant dominated this match but the final pass in the attacking third let them down.

The visitors relied on long balls to striker, Chris Phillips, who fed runners into the game. Lancing had only one chance the whole of the first half which resulted from a long ball to Phillips who, with back to goal, chipped a forward pass to Josh High. The wide Lancing player had not been tracked by his marker and lobbed the Lavant ‘keeper to put the visitors ahead 1-0 on 13 minutes.

Lavant still ran the game with Ryan Seacombe scoring but being ruled offside on 21 minutes, James Sandford was inches wide from a Mike Bartley cross just before half-time, as Lancing were relieved to hear the half-time whistle.

Manager, David Parker, changed the personnel on the left for the second half and again Lavant dominated.

WebpicLavantvsLancing150912 Open Play

Lavant and Lancing in open play. James Sandford and Mike Bartley push up front

When Sandford was slotted through on 59 minutes, Lancing ‘keeper, Ashley Hollick pulled off a fine save. From the resulting corner Stuart Underwood hooked Seacombe’s header off the line. Sandford headed just over and Seacombe again was just wide 6 minutes later.

Then Lavant gave the ball away as Matt Steven’s pass was slightly under-hit pass on the edge of the homeside’s defending third and Shaun Evans intercepted to score just after the hour.

Sandford just failed to connect with a Bartley cross but his own cross was struck home by Richard Gabb in the 74 minute to put Lavant back in the game with sixteen minutes remaining on the clock.

WebPicLavantvsLancing150912 attacking lancings goal

Lavant camped in Lancing’s goal

The remainder of the match saw Lancing’s goal under siege right up to the final whistle.  Lancing joy after the game was evident, as they “snatched and grabbed” the valuable three away points, as was Lavant’s dismay and up-set. A bitter pill to swallow, ending their run of 30 league games without a defeat. .

Dave Parker commented after the match “I can’t criticise the players. Lancing had two chances and took them; we just couldn’t convert our chances on the day”.

Lavant: N.Sanson, C.Coe, J.Wright, B.Purgavie, M.Lyttle, L.Weller, M.Bartley, M.Stevens, R.Tagg, J.Sandford, R.Seacombe. Subs: T.Parker, A.Holmes, M.Hine.