Sportsman 1 Lavant Reserves 10

There was no away day blues as Lavant Reserves took on Sportsman with enforced changes to the team due to injury and first team call ups.

As Lavant got off to a flying start with Darren Cox getting on the score sheet within 3 minutes after the Sportsman’s keeper long clearance was headed back towards goal by Jason Houghton, into the path of Stuart Loversidge who squared the ball to Cox who opened his account, 0-1.

Lavant were soon two up as they dominated in midfield. Martin Ayers playing in his preferred position on the wing ran the ball down the flank past the right back before picking out Cox with an inch perfect cross, who cool drove the ball home, scoring his second of the match and putting the visitors well and truly in the driving seat, 0-2.

Sportsman almost pulled one back as a long range shot almost caught keeper Tom Turner off guard, but he managed to scramble back and tip the ball over the bar for a corner.

Lavant kept pressing at every opportunity and were soon rewarded with their third goal as winger Dave Maclean jinxed his way past a couple of players, before crossing the ball to the far post where Stuart Loversidge headed home, 0-3.

Full back Dan Ranjbar created Lavant’s fourth goal, picking out Maclean on the edge of the box, who went on a darting run beating three defenders before scoring the goal of the game, similar to Sunderland’s Onroha goal against Chelsea last week, 0-4.

The Sportsman didn’t give up and they tried hard to get back into the game pushing forward in search of a goal.  But Lavant’s new look defence stood firm and with forwards Loversidge and Cox combining well up front they caused havoc on the counter attack as they added goals five and six and Cox claimed his first but surely not his last hat trick in a Lavant shirt, 0-6.

With confidence high midfielder Jason Houghton added another, with delightful goal from the edge of the box and defender Simon Green made it eight just before half time, scoring from a Maclean corner, 0-8.

At half time Lavant made wholesale changes bringing on Joe Green, Dan Page and Louis Weller. As a result it took a while for the substitutes to bed in, whilst The Sportsman fresh from their half time grilling started the livelier and quickly pulled a goal back as their striker beat the offside trap and rounded the keeper to score, 1-8.

In the end this just proved to be a consolation goal as Lavant settled and once more pressed the homesides goal.  Maclean, Cox and Weller all came close to extending Lavant’s lead further but it came down to full back Simon Green to show them how it was done, by going on an excursion from the half way line, playing a neat one two with Maclean before drilling the ball home to score the visitors ninth of the match, 1-9.

There was still time for one more goal as Darren Cox headed his fourth of the game, to cap a commanding performance from the visitors, 1-10.  Man of the match Simon Green commented “We’ve have had a poor run of results of late and to come here today and score so many goals will give us a boost for the next game and if we are ever short of strikers in the team then I am always available”.

Lavant: T. Turner, D. Ranjbar, B.Evans, P.Cairns, S.Green, D.Maclean, S.Massey, J.Houghton, M.Ayers, D.Cox, S.Loversidge. Subs: J.Green, L. Weller, D. Page.