Petworth 1 Lavant 3 – Malcolm Simmonds Cup

Saturday Lavant travelled the relatively short journey to locals rivals Petworth for the 2nd Round tie in the Malcolm Simmonds Memorial Cup.

Yet again the weather was vey pleasant as the Summer seems to be extending right up to the end of September. Also Petworth’s pitch was in really good condition after what seems to have been some extensive re-seeding works over the closed season. Great conditions for the match.

Lavant began pressing the home-sides half right from kick-off and had long spells of possession, but with a slow work rate Petworth had time to organise and breakdown any attacks on goal.

To Petworth’s credit they were up for the cup tie and the local derby, as they worked hard to stop Lavant at every opportunity and were also often robust with their tackling.

Then on 20 minutes and really against the run of play Petworth attacked straight down the middle of the pitch and as Lavant tried to intercept the attack the homeside’s midfielder’s shot got deflected past the stranded Lavant keeper Luke Terry, as Petworth somewhat surprisingly took the lead, 1-0.

For the remainder of the first half again Lavant had most of the possession, but Petworth continued to work really hard limiting the visitors chances on goal, as it remained one-nil going into half time.

Right from the re-start there was suddenly an urgency in the Lavant game as again the visitors were on the attack. And within 2 minutes a lovely passing move was finished off by Josh Castle at close range as Lavant were now level, 1-1.

The visitors were now dominating the game as they started to press and force the play as Petworth were really starting to tire and 10 minutes later it was Lavant who took a deserved lead, as Kieran Dowell scored his debut goal for the club, 1-2.

Man of the Match, Cam Corell added a third goal for Lavant to more or less end Petworth’s cup hopes. Then right on full time the visitors were awarded a penalty as Harrison Mitchell was fouled in the area, giving Lavant another chance to add another to their tally. But unfortunately Jordan Clark’s well struck penalty was well saved by the keep, so at full time it remained 1-3 to Lavant.

Lavant now progress to the Quarter Final of Malcolm Simmonds Cup, where they will host Rudgwick.
Date of fixture still to be confirm.

Team: Luke Terry, Mason Haga-Hammond, Dan Cox, Jake O’Brennan, Matt Lyttle (c), Aaron Hancock, James Hubbard, Matt Noble, Zac Moy, Josh Castle, Cam Corell.
Subs: Jordan Clark, Kieran Dowell, Charles Griggs, Harrison Mitchell, Matt Dacombe.
Management: John Price, Ash Rochester, John Wickenden