Pagham Reserves 2 Lavant 3

Sussex Intermediate Cup

Pagham Football Club 06-12-14

Pagham Football Club

Lavant put in a great performance against a Pagham Reserve side currently 3rd in the Sussex County Reserves Section Premier League, to win three-two and secured their place into the Quarter Finals of the Sussex Intermeidate Cup.  Lavant will have a home fixture on the 10th January, Kick-off 1.30pm and it will be against the winners of the game btween West Chiltington and Rottingdean Village being played on the 13th December.


Team warm-up prior to Paghamvs Lavant 06-12-14

Manager Stuart Eastwood leads the pre-game warm-up

Lavant travelled to Reserve County Premier side Pagham full of confidence off the back of 8 consecutive victories. The opposition was not to be taken lightly as they too are flying high in their league and their quality showed from the outset. Pagham started with great tempo putting the visitors on the back foot and using the pace of their wide men to great effect and letting the Lavant full backs know that they were in for a difficult afternoon of football. The first telling opportunity fell to Pagham with Gashi on the left hand side getting the beating of Gabb and flashing the ball across the 6 yard box only for Turney to be put off by the outstretched Lyttle.

After the early pressure Lavant started to settle with Brooks and Knight getting their foot on the ball and starting to dictate the tempo. 15 minutes in Lavant managed to put them ahead, Hancock with a well delivered corner kick, converted at the back post by Jones and scoring his first goal for Lavant against his former club.

Lavant were buoyed from this a continued to move the ball around and enjoying the majority of possession. Pagham were still an obvious threat and Lavant had to be aware of their pace of the counter. With 10 minutes left of the half Pagham levelled, Turney getting the better this time of Lyttle, driving into the box and unleashing a vicious cross shoot into the roof of the net.

Lavant had to pick themselves and before the half was up they had the ball in the back of the net again only for Baker to be judged offside, a decision that bewildered the visiting side.

Lavant full of belief that the tie was there for the taking started the second as they finished the first and it wasn’t long until they got themselves in front once more, a penetrating run by Hancock down the right hand side, crossing hard and low into Haggar who laid off to Sandford to fire home.

Lavant again persevered having the better of possession and on the hour mark made it 3, another Hancock corner hit towards goal by Lyttle taking a deflection off Haggar on the way and finally swept home by Sandford for his second.

Was this 2 goal cushion going to be enough to see the West Sussex Premier side through, well the game was set for the grand finale when Pagham were awarded a penalty kick 15 minutes from time. Turney again the danger man driving into the box and felled by Purgavie with the kick being comfortably stroked home and making it 3-2.

Pagham piled on the pressure but Lavant defended with heart and soul putting everything on the line seeing the game out and progressing into the Quarter Finals of the Sussex Intermediate Challenge Cup.

Team: Neil Sanson, Richard Gabb, Ben Purgavie, Paul Jones, Matt Lyttle, Aaron Hancock, James Brooks, Dave Knight, Ollie Haggar, Dan Baker, James Sandford (c). Subs: Mike Neville, Jon Wright, Dave Maclean.