Lavant Reserves 4 Harting 1

Lavant hosted local rivals Harting in the league this week in a match which for the homeside was certainly “a game of two halfs”.

Lavant attacked the visitors goals straight from kick-off and within 3 minutes James Brooks had put the homeside one up, as his shot from well outside the box looped over the stranded keeper into the back of the net, 1-0.

Minutes later Ross Lines headed home a second for Lavant only for the goal to be ruled out by referee Andy Hide.  This would only a temporary reprive for Harting as Shay Wiggins scored on 12 minutes tapping in from close range following a Lavant corner and an anxious goalmouth scramble, 2-0.

Lavant continued to press forward at every opportunity and following Matt Hine’s free kick hitting the bar, plus Dan Cowell and Lines both heading against the post, the continued pressure eventually told on the visitors.

With 25 minutes gone a mistake by the Harting’s keeper was severely punished, as he dropped a low level shot only for Lines to grab the ball, round the keeper and walk the ball into the empty net, 3-0.

Lavant’s tempo was then suddenly halted, as Rhys Watling’s tumble from a seemly innocuous tackle ended with the game being stopped and the emergency services being called as it was feared he had broken his collar-bone.

After a 20 minute break, the game was resumed and the remaining 12 minutes of the half were played out, as Harting failed to capitalize on a penalty award as the spot kick crashed against the post and away to safety and at the other end of the pitch unselfish play by substitute Shaun Massey squaring the ball to Cowell inside the box allowed him to score a relatively simple goal and Lavant’s fourth of the match, 4-0.

The second half however was very much a different story for the homeside who seemed to lose their rhythm following Watling’s injury, wholesale changes to the team and to their credit Harting’s renewed determination to get something out of the game.

The end result saw Lavant fail to capitalize on any of their second half chances.  They did however have another goal cancelled out for a very contentious late offside decision made by the referee, but it was Harting that won the second half skirmish, as they headed in from a corner giving them a late consolation goal with 10 minutes remaining, 4-1.

After the final whistle manager’s Cliff Massey and Mel Milburn and their player’s stayed behind to mull over their disappointing second half performance. Disappointment after a victory seems odd but this is a reflection of how the Reserve team have improved and how they are now setting their own high standards this season.

Later on, Lavant were given some good news, as it turned out that Rhys Watling’s injury although bad was not as serious as first feared and with a bit of luck it is hoped he will return from injury in about six weeks time.

Lavant: M.Pullen, S.Green, M.Ayers, J.Wright, K.Fogden, S.Wiggins, M.Hine, J.Brooks, D.Cowell, R.Lines, R.Watling. Subs D.Maclean, S.Massey, P.Cairns.

Sundays Results

Shuker Memorial Trophy:
Wheatsheaf II 1, University of Chichester 4.

Division 2:
Six Villages Utd 3, Lamb Steyne 7.

Under 18:
Challenge Cup:
Worthing Town Yth 1, Southwater FC 5.

League Division B:
Rustington Otters Yth 2, Predators Yth 1
Worthing Rebels Yth 2, Worthing Utd Yth 7.

Saturdays Results

Sussex Junior Cup: First round:
Forest 0, Chailey 6
Portslade Ath II 1, Billingshurst 2
Saltdean Sharks 3, PHS Utd 4
Sporting Devils 0, BSM08 7
Goring CC 1, Ticehurst 4
Hunston Community 1, Orington 5
Icklesham Casuals 13, Roffey 2
The Ship 6, Polegate Town II 7
Wadhurst Utd II 4, Horsham Trinity 8
West Hill Utd 1, Holbrook 6
Wisdom Sports 2, Mayfield 0
Icklesham Casuals 13, Roffey III 2
Fittleworth 5, East Court 2
Framfield & Blackboys Utd 1, Diverse Cultures 2
Lindfield IV 2, Rustington Park Snrs 1
Furnace Green Galaxy II v Partridge Green postponed
Phoenix Utd II 1, The Sportsman 0
Hurstpierpoint II 1, The Plough Ifield 2
Buxted III v Horsham Baptists postponed
Forest Res 0, Chailey 6
Lavant II 5, AFC Roffey 2
Horsham Crusaders 4, Milland 0
Newtown Villa III 10, Southwater II 2
Selsey FC A 3, Upper Beeding II 2.

Centenary Cup: First round:
Newtown Villa 6, East Dean 1.

Bareham Trophy: First round:
Harting 3, Fernhurst II 2
Lodsworth II 0, Rogate 08 7
Square Deal FC 0, Chapel 3
Wittering Utd II 5, Ambassadors 2
Yapton II 4, Predators III 3.

Division 1:
Capel 0, Holbrook FC 2
Faygate Utd 0, Barnham II 2
Stedham Utd 0, Hunston CC 5
Watersfield 4, Ashington Rovers 1.