Worthing BCOB 1 Lavant 2
(After extra time) Centenary Cup

An under par Lavant made hard work of this cup tie against a spirited opposition. Worthing started brightly but gradually Lavant dominated in a 25 min spell where they created so many chances they should have buried the game. Price, Parker, Sheppard twice and Evans all had gilt-edged opportunities which were spurned.

The visitors would rue squandering these chances, especially when Martin Stanbridge broke free for the homeside to roll the ball past ‘keeper, Chris Bowles, and put Worthing ahead against the run of play on 27 minutes. The goal lifted the seasiders and they held this lead until half-time.

Worthing’s high work rate and strong tackling continued in the second period forcing the Lavant Coach, David parker, to change the visitor’s formation. Within a minute of doing so the Chichester side were level on 63 minutes when Matt Price hammered home a viscous volley from striker, Alan Sheppard’s flick on.

Lavant were so often drawn into the frenzy set by Worthing and it was only in the few spells that they slowed play down and passed the ball that they looked like breaking the deadlock. But this did not happen and the game went into extra time.

Ross Lines was brought on up front and scored the winner in the first minute of extra time after a delightful Lavant move. With Parker and Neville in the centre of the park, the visitors did settle to controlled football, dominating the extra period and the final result then never looked in doubt. However, missing those early chances meant they had to grind this one out.

Team: C.Bowles, D.Hall, B.Thomas, M.Hine, G.Ockwell, M.Price, B.Evans, D.Payne, M.Neville, A.Sheppard, T.Parker. Subs: R.Lines, S.Gooding. Linesman D.Morris.

Lavant Reserves 3 Fishbourne Reserves 3

The first quarter of the game saw Fishbourne have the better of the opening exchanges, with Lavant keeper Tom Turner having to pull off a number of fine saves to keep the visitors at bay.

Lavant however grew in confidence as the match progressed and they snatched the lead on the half hour as they caught the visitors napping on the counterattack Christian Swain broke free on the right flank, crossing the ball into the box for Dan Baker to head home the opener, 1-0.

The remaining quarter of the first half was evenly contested, but right on half time Fishbourne scored a very controversial goal. It initially appeared referee Simon Kimber had awarded a free-kick to Lavant for a foul on Stuart Eastwood. In fact Fishbourne were actually awarded the foul and took the free-kick quickly and as the referee waved play on they ran through on goal in mass completely unopposed as Lavant were still preparing to take the kick. Lavant’s furious protests were to no avail as the goal stood and so the score was level at half time with one a piece, 1-1.

Both teams started lively in the second half. Turner once more denying the visitors by pulling off another fine save. As the game progressed Fishbourne were beginning to tire due to the continued pace of the game and as Lavant pressed forward once more Dan Baker was cut down just inside the area and the referee awarded a penalty. Minutes seemed to pass as the referee and linesman then were involved in a heated debate over whether the tackle was inside the area. Finally the referee decided his decision would stand. Adam Yaxley’s penalty was then palmed against the cross bar by the Fishbourne keeper, but Yaxley was quickest to react and drill the rebound home from close rang, 2-1.

Three minutes later Fishbourne were again level as they caught the home side napping once more, taking another quick free-kick which was lofted into the box before bouncing over the out-coming Turner allowing Dave Barnes to cross into the box for Rhys Watling to score the simplest of headers, 2-2.

Lavant again pushed forward in order to regain the lead. Firstly Joe Perry’s 25 yard drive went agonisingly only inch’s wide of the post, then on 70 minutes Shaun Massey latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the box to drill home his first goal for Lavant since signing in the summer, 3-2.

Both teams battled out the remaining 20 minutes of the game. Baker almost extended Lavant’s lead further, as he went a darting run in the box, but his shot was superbly saved by the keeper. Fishbourne to their credit never gave up and with ten minutes remaining they once more levelled the game with Barnes scoring a diving header, 3-3.

Three minutes later Lavant had the ball in the back of the net once more as Perry’s cross was drilled home by Yaxley, but he was adjudged to be just offside.

Lavant in the end had to settle for a draw, which overall was a fair result on the day, but manager Cliff Massey was still very pleased with his teams battling performance.

Team: Tom Turner, C.Coe, D.Mortimer, S.Eastwood, J.Strange, C.Swain, J.Perry, S.Massey, PCzajka, D.Baker, A.Yaxley. Subs: G.Pinder, A.Strange, M.Milburn.

Saturday’s Results

12th September

Centenary Cup (First round):
Ashington Rovers 5 East Dean 4
Billingshurst 10, Milland 1
Fernhurst 2, Harting 0
Hunston CC 2, Watersfield 1
Newtown Villa 7, Highdown Hornets 0
Regis Veterans 2, Ockley 3
Rogate 08 0, West Chiltington 6
Rustington Park Snrs 3, Henfield 0
Wittering Utd 5, Slinfold 4
Worthing BCOB 1, Lavant 2.

Division I
Angmering 2, Partridge Green 1
Fishbourne 4, Faygate Utd 0.

Division IV South
Ambassadors 0, Selsey FC A 6
Lavant Reseves 3, Fishbourne Reserves 3
Tangmere 8, Lodsworth 1.