Div IV Charity Cup
Lavant Reserves 5 Horsham Trinity Reserves 2

In the showery rain and high winds Lavant Reserves confidently dealt with the elements and Horsham Trinity to secure their place into the next round of the Divisional cup.

Lavant started the game playing against the wind, but this did not prove to be a disadvantage as with only 10 minutes gone Shay Wiggins pass set Ryan Seacombe free down the flank and whip a cross into the box, which was met by the outstretched foot of striker Adam Yaxley, as he directed the ball into the back of the Horsham net, 1-0.

Ten minutes later Lavant were awarded a penalty following some good possession football as Guy Pinder laid the ball off to Chris Coe who picked out Wiggin’s with a long diagonal ball, who in turn crossed the ball to the waiting Tom Sheppard just yards out and certain to score. That is until he was hastily brought down from behind earning a stone wall penalty. Seacombe stepped up and decisively converted the spot kick, doubling Lavant’s lead, 2-0

Seacombe was again involved in Lavant’s third goal on 30 minutes, as he took two players on in the area before laying off the unmarked Wiggins who drove the ball home from the edge of the box, giving the keeper no chance, 3-0.

There was still more to come from Lavant in a half they dominated and with only minutes remaining to the interval Seacombe’s cross once more caused havoc in the box, as two Horsham players collided with Yaxley Snr as the ball fell free, with Scott Yaxley quickest to react smashing the ball home just inside the box, 4-0.

Horsham started the second half in earnest and within minutes sparked a mini revival as they pushed forward pressing the Lavant goal and in a hurried effort to defend a cross defender Martin Smith inadvertently placed the ball past goalkeeper Tom Turner, giving the visitor’s hope of a comeback, 4-1.

The next 30 minutes drew a stalemate as Lavant sat back and reorganised themselves determined to maintain their lead as Horsham tried in vain to get back into the game. The deadlock was however eventually broken on 75 minutes by the homeside when Justin Walsh’s persistence paid off as he won the ball on the edge of the visitors box and picked out substitute Graeme Bell, who weaver past two defenders and slotted the ball home from a tight angle, 5-1.

With 5 minutes remaining Lavant gifted the visitors a late consolation goal following a misunderstanding between defender Chris Coe and keeper Turner, as both players left the ball for each other as a lofted free-kick in the goal area went unchallenged and ended in the back of the net, 5-2.

Team: T. Turner, C.Coe, J.Strange, T.Sheppard, M.Smith, S.Yaxley, G.Pinder, S.Massey, S.Wiggins, R.Seacombe, A.Yaxley. Subs: G.Bell, D.Morris, J.Walsh.

Saturday’s Results

14th November

The weather put pay to every fixture in the West Sussex league apart from 5 games this weekend and one of the five games that survived was Lavant Reserves game against Horsham Trinity, credit goes to Raughmere park and our Parish Council groundsman Mark Goulding.

Chichester Charity Cup: Second round:
Lodsworth 7, Newtown Villa II 1.

Division Four Cup: Second round:
Lavant II 5, Horsham Trinity II 2.

Division 2 North: 
Fittleworth 2, Newdigate 2.

Division 3 North:
Slinfold 3, Pulborough II 1.

Division 4 North:
Upper Beeding II 5, Wisborough Green II 2.