Centenary Cup
Worthing BCOB 1 Lavant 5

Lavant progressed to Round 3 of the Centenary Cup as they brushed aside Worthing at Pound Lane on Saturday.

Tom Parker opened the scoring after 55 seconds when he dispossessed Scott Law in the Worthing defence and rode off 3 defenders to fire home. The homeside looked ragged before a well-oiled Lavant machine. Twelve mins later, Stuart Loversidge dispossessed Woods on the left touchline, bore inside and left ‘keeper Kevin Punter clutching at air as he doubled Lavant’s lead. An intricate build up by the visitors on the right ended with Dave Kennard being upended in the area and Ben Evans dispatched the penalty kick on 40 mins.

Worthing resumed the second-half with more fight and better organisation. They were rewarded half-way through the half, when Harry Killick, the best Worthing player, beat the offside trap to score.

But, within 2 mins, the Chichester side stepped right back in the game and cancelled Killick’s goal. Ayers burst through to force ‘keeper Punter to concede a corner from which subsitute , Chris Withall, rose to head home.

Lavant saved the best team goal of the game until last. Sheppard played a ball from defence to midfielder, Walsh, who set substitute, Price, free on the left. His speedy pass found Withall on the left of the penalty area, who beat his marker to cross into Kennard’s path 10 mins from time for him to crown a magnificent display from the visitors.

Team: M.Pullen, T.Sheppard, S.Gooding, M.Hine; M.Ayers, B.Evans, J.Walsh, D.Kennard, M.Neville; T.Parker, S.Loversidge. Subs: B.Thomas, C.Withall, M.Price.

Bareham Trophy
Square Deal 4 Lavant Reserves 2

Lavant Reserves this week had a respite from the league as they travelled to Littlehampton to play Division III side Square Deal in the Bareham Trophy.

Lavant had to make a number of changes due to injury and unavailability of players and were forced to field their last choice keeper, manager Dave Kent in goal for this game.

The first half saw the visitors put in a very low par performance as they found themselves two nil down within the opening fifteen minutes as Square Deal capitalized on their limited chances, whilst Lavant squandered theirs. Both Robbie Pinder and Dave Knight should have scored from close range and levelled the game, 2-0.

Eventually, however Lavant did manage to reduce the deficit as Christian Swain scrambled the ball across the line on the half hour, 2-1.

The home side were swift to respond as they made it three goals from three attempts on goal, as their winger beat Dave Morris to the cross and heading into the top corner, giving the keeper no chance, 3-1.

The half time team talk must have worked as Lavant looked a different team in the second half as they dominated for large periods of the game as the home side seemed content on defending their lead.

Lavant again did not make their chances count as Swain somehow failed to score a yard out one on one with the keeper.

Then a dubious decision by the stand in referee, waving play on as the lineman clearly flagged for offside allowed the home side striker to break clear, round the keeper and score, restoring Square Deal’s advantage, before Lavant substitute Alex Waters industrious work rate was finally rewarded as the headed home from Greg Ockwell’s corner, 4-2.

Square Deal saw out the ninety minutes, booking their place into the next round of the cup, whilst Lavant were left to reflect on their poor first half performance which clearly cost them the match and how they were going to raise their game for next weeks league cup fixture at home to Rustington Park Seniors.

Team: D.Kent, J.Strange, S.Eastwood, G.Pinder, M.Paintin, D.Morris, G.Ockwell, A.Strange, C.Swain, D.Knight, R.Pinder. Subs: A.Waters, A.Yaxley.