Hunston 0 Lavant 2

Lavant extended their league wins to three out of three in their visit to a rejuvenated Hunston. The homeside started the brighter and fed off target man Ian Fletcher to test the visitors’ defence. But gradually, the Chichester side settled into the game and nearly went ahead when Ross Lines’s shot from a Dave Kennard long-throw was blocked by Hunston defender, Jody Turner on its way goalward.

Lavant striker, Stuart Loversidge, stole the ball off the Hunston defence and was upended in the penalty area with only goalkeeper, Stephen Chiddle to beat. Ben Evans fired the visitors ahead from the resulting spot kick on the quarter hour.

Eight mins before half-time, Tom Parker nearly put the Chichester side further ahead, when he shimmied two players to create space for himself but shot wide from 18 yds.

At the restart, Hunston threw everything into a search for an equaliser with Martin Lomas looking strong at the back. But Lavant were having none of it and looked comfortable building from defence. One such move saw Ben Thomas find Parker who headed down for Kennard to thread Loversidge through with only the’keeper to beat. Quick feet left Chiddle stranded and Loversidge sealed the game by passing the ball into the empty net on 55 mins.

Lavant’s substitutions and tactical rearrangement in midfield created further good chances for Parker and Loversidge but Chiddle was equal to both. The visitors sealed up the game to bag full points.

Team: M.Pullen, T.Sheppard, M.Court, D.Hall, M.Ayers, B.Evans, B.Thomas, D.Kennard, R.Lines, T.Parker, S.Loversidge. Subs: M.Neville, S.Gooding, J.Walsh.

Coal Exchange 1 Lavant Reserves 0

After a week off Lavant Reserves travelled to Emsworth for their first away game of the season.

Fielding six changes from the previous game, Lavant started well and controlled the ball from the start and for the first 15 minutes the Coal Exchange struggled to get into the game.

The home side’s defence were well organised and proving hard to break down, however a neat move between Dave Knight and Matt Price, put through Greg Ockwell who’s shot went agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock.

It took 25 minutes before the homeside really threatened Lavant’s half and they came close to surprisingly opening the scoring from a dangerous lofted free kick into the area, which was headed just wide of the post.

Then Lavant striker Chris Withall’s quick pass wide put Alex Waters through on the right flank and his cross, found Adam Yaxley, free at the far post, but his effort again went wide of goal.

As the half drew on Lavant short of ideas for opening up the homeside’s defence let the Coal Exchange get back into the game and with 5 minutes remaining they capitalised on a mistake from Stuart Eastwood, allowing their striker to break clear down the middle of the pitch and score past Chris Bowles in the Lavant goal, 1-0.

Lavant started the second half determined to get something from the game and with 5 minutes gone they should have drawn level as Alex Water’s broke through the defence, but this time his shot was well saved by the keeper.

With the early introduction of substitutes Christian Swain and Dave Morris, the visitors were able to again encamped themselves in the Coal Exchange’s half for long periods, but they rarely threaten the goal.

The last quarter saw Matt Hine replace Mike Paintin who was suffering from cramp, but the Coal Exchange without any real pressure were able to run down the clock and claim all three points to the great disappointment of Lavant.

Team: C.Bowles, S.Blackman, S.Eastwood, J.Strange, A.Waters, D.Knight, G.Ockwell, M.Paintin, M.Price, C.Withall, A.Yaxley. Subs: M.Hine, D.Morris, C.Swain.