Its a Yellow Weekend

This weekend both Saturday sides won their matches convincingly 9-0 and 5-0, whilst the Sunday team drew 2-2.

Wittering 0 Lavant 9

This weekend the first team travelled to local side Wittering, determined to move on from the previous week’s disappointing cup exit.

Conditions were not great, the pitch was uneven in places, covered in mole holes and the grass long in places especially down the flanks and near the corners.  To add to this, it had been raining heavily just before kick-off.

Straight from the whistle Lavant started well pushing forward and taking the game to Wittering.  The young Wittering side were for large spells pinned back defending their goal, but they were hard working and quick to counter attack at every opportunity.

As the first half progressed Lavant missed a number of chances and Wittering on the counter started to threatened Lavant’s goal.  So some frustration in Lavant’s play started to set in until finally Mike Neville chasing down a half chance finally opened the scoring for the visitors and settle their nerves.  The hardworking Neville then added another before James Sandford made it three-nil, ensuring Lavant went into half time with a commanding lead.

During the break Lavant’s team talk focused on getting the ball on the ground and playing more football and that is exactly what happened in the second period very effectively.  Again Wittering initally proved hard to breakdown, but eventually the gaps started to form as Wittering constntly chased the ball and Lavant took clincial advantage of every opportunity, scoring six more goals in the second half, with Sandford scoring twice more and goals from James Brooks, Oli Haggar, Paul Jones and Aaron Hancock.

The previous weeks cup result had been not forgotten, but this Lavant team now have the resiliance mindset as a team to move-on and learn fro any mistakes and now focus on the next game an away fixture in the Centenary Cup to Division I league leaders Petworth.

Team: Neil Sanson, Richard Gabb, Paul Jones, Matt Lyttle, Jon Wright, Mike Neville, James Brooks, Dave Knight, Aaron Hancock, Ollie Haggar, James Sandford (c). Subs: Ben Purgavie, Paul Taylor, Adam Yaxley.

Lavant Reserves 5 Tangmere 0

Lavant Reserves last game of the season was a home fixture against a local Tangmere team still in the process of rebuilding following the loss of their last seasons first team.

Tangmere on the day only managed to field the bare eleven players with no substitutes, and even though Lavant enjoyed a good away win against the visitors ealier in the season, they did not under estimate their current capabilities.

Lavant started the match strong following instructions of manager Martin Pullen to press the visitors hard and give them no time on the ball. The return of Henry Polack at the back strengthened the homeside’s defense and along with fellow centre-back Neale Watts and full-backs Martin Smith and Craig Spann they were able to contain any Tangmere threats with on Lavant’s goal .

At the other end of the pitch Lavant’s player in-form Lee Smith, scoring twice (one following up a Watts great free kick, saved, but not cleared by the Tangmere keeper) and provided two assists for Pete Caveney’s two first half goals, was instrumental to putting Lavant in full control of the game.

But again the other side of Smith’s play reared its head and words between Smith and Tangmere’s keeper Craig Longman escalated resulting in both players having to be spoken too stearnly by referee Martin Baron.   This long break in play did Lavant no favours taking their previous domination back to square one, but thankfully half time was approaching and Lavant managed to regain enough composure and make it to half timewith their four goals lead intact.

Stern words from Pullen followed at half time regarding discipline, priorities of not conceding any goals and keeping shape.

The second half saw Tangmere desperate to get back into the game and even though they were four goals down, to their credit, they never gave up. But Pete Caveney shattered any hopes of a Tangmere come back, scoring the only goal of the second half, completing his hatrick.

Substitutes Alex Holmes replaced Don Polack followed by Matt Grace replacing Dave Maclean in order to bolster the hardworking Lavant midfield lead by Neil Latham.

Then, fifteen minutes from the final whistle Smith was shown a straight red card following further words with the referee. Discipline once again spoiling a great footballing performance for this player.

The ten men of Lavant continued to press for a sixth goal, with Greg Ayling coming close in the closing stages. But at the final whistle the team were happy to end their season, scoring five goals, keeper Rob Baylis keeping a clean sheet and bagging three more points towards their final points tally, hoping it will be enough to secure third spot in the league and keep their slim chance of promotion alive.

Team: Rob Baylis, Craig Spann, Martin Smith, Henry Polack, Neale Watts, Neil Latham, Dave Maclean, Greg Ayling, Don Pollack, Pete Caveney, Lee Smith. Subs: Alex Holmes, Matt Grace