Bareham Trophy
Lavant Reserves 2 Regis Veterans 1

The first half was a relatively uneventful affair from an attempts on goal perspective as both teams battled it out mainly in the middle of the park, without really threatening each others goals.

Lavant found it hard to breakdown a well organised Veterans defence and the visitors found it equally hard to make their limited chances count, as perhaps their league results clearly indicated as to date they had played four games and only scored three goals.

Jon Strange in on the tackle LFC Res vs Regis Veterans 281109

Jon Strange in in on the tackle

The second half started in much the same vein and it looked like no one was going to break the deadlock. Lavant came close on 57 minutes when Shay Wiggins cross in front of goal sailed over the incoming Ryan Seacombe, leaving a gaping hole at the far right hand side as Shaun Massey slid in but failed by inch’s to connect with the ball and direct it into the empty net.

Three minutes later however, finally the deadlock was broken as Lavant failed to defend a Veterans corner, as their number 10 found himself completely unmarked in the box and headed home precisely into the top corner giving the stranded Lavant keeper Ton Turner no chance, 0-1.

This signalled game on, as Lavant now tried to up their game and get back into the cup tie and the visitors stoutly defended their lead.

Chris Coe defending the ball LFC Res vs Regis Veterans 281109

Chris Coe racing to be first to the ball

Wiggins proving a real handful on the right wing, once more got the better of the left back, before neatly crossing the ball along the six yard line as two Lavant players raced in to score, but miscommunication between Seacombe and Massey ended up with both players getting in each others way, wasting a gilt edged chance and letting the visitors let of the hook.

With only five minutes remaining and the cup tie looking to be slipping away from the homeside, Lavant’s Guy Pinder’s midfield pass picked our Graeme Bell running in on the far left flank, who took one touch to control the ball before smashing it into top right hand corner of the goal, drawing the homeside level, 1-1.

The veterans still suffering from the shock of conceding a goal so late in the game, were caught napping straight from the restart as they lost possession in midfield and Massey picked out Seacombe who’s low shot went under the keeper and crept over the line, 1-2 to the delight of the homeside and watching supporters.

Lavant gave a sigh of relief, as they saw out the remaining minutes of the game and booked themselves a place into the next round of the Bareham Trophy, whilst the Veteran’s were left wondering how they lost the game at the death.

Team: T. Turner, C.Coe, J.Strange, N.Watts, M.Smith, S.Yaxley, G.Pinder, S.Massey, S.Wiggins, R.Seacombe, A.Yaxley. Subs: G.Bell, D.Maclean, J.Walsh.

Saturday’s Results

28th November

Centenary Cup: Third round:
Angmering 2, Ashington Rovers 1.

Bareham Trophy: First round:
Lavant II 2, Regis Veterans 1.

Division 1:
Wittering Utd 7, Watersfield 2.

Division 4 South:
Selsey FC A 5, Milland 4.