Lavant 3 Yapton 3

Ten man Yapton battled hard to earn a point in this Division 2 game.

The first 10 minutes were very even but Yapton capitalised on Lavant’s growing tendency to defend too deep. When Lavant ‘keeper, Martin Pullen, bowled over Alex Clark, Nathan Sadler put the visitors deservedly ahead from the penalty spot on 25 minutes.

Again the coaching staff urged Lavant to push up and this immediately led to a penalty at the other end. Lee Boxall received his second yellow card and his marching orders for upending midfielder Ben Evans in the box. Ross Lines dispatched the spot kick on 35 minutes.

Ten man Yapton went further behind when Daryl Hall put striker Stuart Loversidge through one minute before half-time.

Lavant should have buried the game in the second half especially after holding player, Ben Thomas, increased the homeside’s lead from a 48th min corner. Evans and Loversidge forced top-drawer saves from Mat Davies whilst Kennard, Loversidge twice, Parker and Evans missed gilt-edged chances for the Chichester side.

Lavant lost their shape as everyone tried to get on the scoring list.  They paid the price as “never-say-die” Yapton capitalised on this with goals from Clark on 55 minutes and Hayden Aldred 10 minutes from time to earn the visitors a point.

Lavant manager, David Parker expressed his reaction to the game: ” Yapton did brilliantly but it should not have been enough. We were undisciplined, unprofessional and I’m furious. We threw two valuable unrecoverable points away today and jeopardised our promotion chances.”

Team: M.Pullen, T.Sheppard, S.Gooding, D.Hall, M.Neville, B.Evens, B.Thomas, D.Kennard, R.Lines, T.Parker, S.Loversidge. Subs: M.Ayers, M.Court, J.Walsh.

Liss Athletic Reserves 1 Lavant Reserves 6

Today’s game was a six pointer as Lavant Reserves travelled away to Liss Athletic who were just one position above them at the foot of West Sussex Division IV South.

The first quarter of an hour saw a lively start from both sides, each attacking at every opportunity.  Lavant went close to opening the scoring when Dave Morris’s cross from the far right went through everyone in the box and out to Dave Knight, who snatched at his shot, forcing it to go just inch’s wide of the far post.

A ball over the top by Liss was miss timed by Simon Blackman as the striker was in on goal, but keeper Paul Czajka was quick to react as his ran in to clear only for the ball to deflect into the path of Stuart Eastwood, who then conceded a free-kick just inside the box as the ball was picked up by Czajka and the referee Adrian Harris blew for a back pass.

The home-side’s free kick was driven hard and low into the busy area and the ball deflected off a player and agonisingly skimmed past the outstretched arms of the keeper into the far right corner of the goal, 1-0.

Ten minutes later Lavant were level after a period of prolonged pressure, with Alan Sheppard smashing the ball home just inside the box, 1-1.

Lavant were now beginning to settle and play some good football and three minutes later Sheppard struck again, scoring from a tight angle on the right, giving the visitors a much deserved lead, 1-2.

Liss now struggling to get a foothold in the game went another goal down five minutes before half time when Chris Withall combined with Sheppard, who deafly lobbed the keeper to claim his
hat trick, 1-3.

The second half saw Lavant continue forcing the pace of the game, with Christian Swain and Jason Houghton in centre midfield orchestrating the football.  With fifteen minutes gone Swains pass opened up the defence, for 17 year old Dave Knight to coolly slot away his first senior goal for Lavant, to the joy of all the team, 1-4.

Liss unable to make any headway eight minutes later were further in arrears, as Knight danced through four tackles on the left flank before cutting the ball back to Sheppard, who’s shot thundered off the post and out into the path of Morris, who drilled the ball into the back of the net, 1-5.

Liss still did not give up and would have pulled one back if it were not for Oli Haggar’s heading clear on the line. Then with five minutes remaining substitute Chris Bowles returning action after two months off through injury, drilled the ball home from theedge of the box, scoring Lavant’s sixth goal of the match and capping off a great team performance.

Team: P.Czajka, O.Haggar, S.Eastwood, S.Blackman, L.Hayward, D.Knight, C.Swain, J.Houghton, D.Morris, A.Sheppard, C.Withall. Subs: C.Bowles, J.Perrin, A.Strange.

West Sussex League Results – 29th November

Division 2 South:
Hunston CC 0, Selsey Town 2; Lavant 3, Yapton 3; Lodsworth 1, Predators Res 4; Worthing BCOB 1, Fishbourne 4.

Division 4 South:
Liss Ath III 1, Lavant Res 6.