Lavant 3 Partridge Green 1

Lavant celebrated their return to Division One with a well earned win at Raughmere Park. But it needed every grain of character and self-belief as they went 0-1 down within a minute. Daniel Smith’s long throw was headed home at the near post by Ben Garmen as Partridge Green caught the homeside with an early sucker punch.

Lavant settled to good passing football and engineered five good chances. They then ran out of patience and reverted to long ball which played into the visitors hands. Instructions from the bench recalled them to patient football which was rewarded by 2 goals in 3 minutes. Alan Sheppard fired home the equaliser on 18 minutes and a training ground corner-kick by Matt Hine was headed home by central midfielder, Dave Kennard on 21 mins. In the dying minutes of the half, striker, David Knight set 16 year old Shay Wiggins up for a stinging volley, which was brilliantly saved by ‘keeper, David Angell.

Lavant defended too deeply in the early part of the second half. The homeside central midfield were losing the battle to Partridge Green’s Dan Maneley and Mark Harrison. But the Chichester side rectified this as fresh legs from substitutes, Ben Evans and Jason Houghton restored Lavant’s midfield advantage. As a result, Sheppard calmly hit his second goal and put the game beyond the visitors’ reach, converting a Dave Knight through ball on 65 minutes.

Coach, David Parker commented ” I have great admiration for the boys coming back from an early set-back, and whilst it’s good to have a win in the bag, it’s going to be a steep learning curve to adapt to this new Division”. Lavant visit Worthing next Saturday in the Cup.

Team: M.Pullen, D.Hall, B.Thomas, M.Hine, G.Ockwell, S.Wiggins, T.Parker, D.Kennard, M.Neville, A.Speppard, D.Knight. Subs: B.Evans, J.Houghton, M.Price. Linesman D.Morris.

Frustrating start to the season for Massey & Milburn

Lavant Reserves 4 Highdown Hornets 5

Cliff Massey and Mel Milburn had a frustrating start to the season as the newly appointed management team had to watch as their team squandered a commanding three nil lead and eventually end up losing the match in the final minutes of the game.

With only a couple of friendlies under their there belt, the new look Lavant side struggled to get going in the early stages of the match. With a mixture of old and new players it was evident that it will take time to bed in the new team.

However on the half hour the football finally started to flow, as Christian Swain was quick to follow up a loose ball on the edge of the box, driving the ball home 1-0. Ten minutes Dan Baker opened his account for the season putting Lavant further ahead, 2-0. Then three minutes after the re-start Baker added another, further increasing Lavant’s lead, as they settled and started playing some good possession football and looked to be well in control of the game with only 10 minutes remaining until half time, 3-0.

The Hornet’s with only the bare 11 player’s, to their credit never gave up and has different ideas as they were suddenly revitalised with hope as they shocked the home side 5 minutes later by reducing the deficit as their nippy forward ran through to score, 3-1. Then came the sucker punch as the visitors found themselves right back in contention in the game, as they scored an almost identical goal right on half time, 3-2.

The second half saw the Hornet’s go all out to draw level, as Lavant tended to sit back and defend their lead, so it was slightly against the run of play when the home side capitalized on the counter attack as Baker claimed his hat trick as his shot ricocheted off the cross bar hitting the keeper and deflecting across the line, giving Lavant a two goal lead with only 25 minutes remaining, 4-2.

Again the Hornet’s rallied, battling on and ten minutes later once more they managed to reduce the deficit, 4-3. Lavant were now looking nervous and after failing to clear the ball were caught in possession in the box as the visitors punished the error and scored drawing level, 4-4.

As per the first half the Hornet’s continued to play right to the whistle and sensing the chance of a victory they pressed for the winner and with 3 minutes remaining they once more capitalized on a defensive error as their forward won possession on the edge of the box, running through and pulling back to ball into the path of their midfielder who slotting the ball home for what turned out to be the winning goal, 4-5, plundering all three points from the home side.

Team: Paul.Czajka, C.Coe, T.Sheppard, S.Eastwood, M.Smith, C.Swain, D.Payne, J.Walsh, S.Massey, D.Baker, A.Yaxley. Subs: A.Waters, J.Strange, Pete Czajka.

Saturday’s Results

5th September

Division 1
Faygate Utd 1-5 Ashington Rovers
Henfield 1-3 Fishbourne
Hunston CC 2-3 Angmering
Lavant 3-1 Partridge Green
Wittering Utd 2-4 West Chiltington

Division IV South
Ambassadors 2-2 Milland
Fishbourne Reserves 3-1 Yapton Reserves
Lavant Reserves 4-5 Highdown Hornets
Selsey FC ‘A’ 8-1 Tangmere

To see all of yesterdays results simply go to the Fixtures and Results page and click on the link to West Sussex Football League in the 4th paragraph of the main text. Also with this is a link to Yellow Jersey, which will have all the results of the Lavant Sunday team.