Cowfold Reserves 1 Lavant 3

Cowfold Manager, Paul Curtis. Described his team’s performance as the best of the season so far. His 4-5-1 formation made for a compact defence but Lavant got off to a good start when Matt Stevens put the division’s leading goalscorer, Ryan Seacombe, through to lob ‘keeper, Matt Beck, and give the league leaders a 1-0 lead after only 9 minutes.

In a game of few chances, the homeside applied the most pressure for the rest of the first half and were awarded a free-kick in the 35 minute. Lavant cleared the ball but Michael Nash drove the rebound into the bottom corner with Neil Sanson, Lavant’s goalie, unsighted.

Assistant Manager, Dave Kent, demanded a higher tempo and work rate which the visitors supplied after the interval. But, still, the breakthrough did not come until Manager, David Parker, made a substitution and restored two strikers up front instead of the lone Seacombe.

The effect was immediate. The new substitute, Stuart Loversidge, set Seacombe up for the winner in the 71st minute. Cowfold then came out of their defensive shell and threw everything at the visitors, but Lavant defended resolutely and from a counter-attack, Dave Knight put Seacombe through to complete his hat-trick 2 minutes from time.

Lavant: N.Sanson, C.Coe, J.Wright, B.Purgavie, M.Lyttle, M.Neville, J.Brooks, M.Stevens, M.Bartley, R.Seacombe, S.Loversidge.  Subs: D.Knight, L.Weller.

LFCResvsFittleworthMartin AyersAerial Battle070112WebPic

Lavant attack the Fittleworth goal with Matin Ayers winning the aerial battle

Lavant Reserves 4 Fittleworth 1

Saturday, Lavant Reserves recorded only their second win of the season to the delight of Manager Mel Milburn.

Both teams battled out a goaless first half, before Lavant fired up from Mel Milburn’s inspirational half time team talk, saw the Reserves eventually go on to win the match four-one.

Even more significant a result as Lavant had to battle back from going one-nil down almost imediately after the restart. Dan Mortimer levelled the score before Lavant took the lead through Nathan Richards.


Goal scorer Dan Mortimer

Fittleworth still battled on but the match was put eventually put out of the visitor’s reach as Richard Gabb added a killer third goal for Lavant. Finally young Harry Wade make it four-one late on, wrapping up a great win for the Reserves.

LFCResvsFittleworthNeilLathamon the ball070112

Neil Latham on the ball

This was a result that was coming and everyones hard work in the Reserves had finally paid dividends.  For eveyone at the club, the first team winning Saturday was good news, but the Reserves winning and winning convincingly  against a side that was third in the league until after today’s result was a great victory and something to build on going into the next fixture against Predators in two weeks time.

LFCResvsFittleworthMattGraceonthe ball070112

Man of the match Matt Grace crossing the ball into the Fittleworth box

Has the fightback started?  The Reserves are now off the bottom of the league and are only seven points behind third placed Boxgrove, who we have to still play at home (Raughmere Park is not a welcoming place to visit) and there are five league games remaining.

Dare we start dreaming and setting goals of achieving the Great Escape.

LFCResvsFittleworthDaveMacleanin on the tackle070112

Crunching tackle by Dave Maclean

Lavant: G.Seacombe, M.Grace, G.Ockwell, N.Richards, M.Hine, N.Latham, H.Reeves, M.Ayers R.Gabb, D.Mortimer, R.Pinder. Subs H.Wade, D.Maclean, G.Pinder.