LFC vs Holbrook 12-09-15 James Brooks 2

James Brooks on the ball (photo courtesy of the Chichester Observer)

Lavant 4 Holbrook 1

Lavant hosted Holbrook on Saturday still in the hunt for their 1st win of the season which they delivered with an assured performance.

From the start Lavant played with an intensity that was missing from the previous week with the midfield trio of Brooks, Stevens and Augustus proving a great engine room for the home side and bossing the game. With the insurance policy provided by these three it allowed the attacking trio of Sandford, Hancock and Caveney to cause the oppositions back line no end of grief and stretching them across the park.

After 20 minutes Lavant got their reward for such a positive start, Hancock breaking away at pace only to be felled in the area as steadying himself to get a shot away, penalty kick. Lavant’s track record from the spot isn’t the best, so the management opted to hand spot kick duties to centre back Paul Jones who thumped it home, with the keeper although getting a hand to it couldn’t keep it out.

With this platform to build from Lavant kicked on and 10 minutes later added a 2nd, a free kick on the edge of the attacking third taken quickly by Sandford found Lyttle wide left whose first touch took him into a great scoring opportunity and it was pure desire that had the beating of the defender as he fired home a right footed drive.

Lavant weren’t done there for the half, Sandford was set free on the inside right channel and doing well to out muscle the Holbrook centre half and cross for the unmarked Caveney to convert from just a couple of yards. That’s three in three now for the wide man who has started the season very well.

LFC vs Holbrook 12-09-15 Aaron Hancock


Aaron Hancock and James Sandford on the attack (photo courtesy of the Chichester Observer)

The second half for Lavant was all about keeping it tight and not giving Holbrook any hopes of getting back into the match, the home side delivered exactly that with Lyttle getting his second goal of the game from a sweetly struck free kick from 25 yards.

From this point the game went flat, tiredness started to creep in and that showed in the way Lavant conceded. A Lavant throw in their defensive third was sent back to the keeper who was caught napping and his attempted clearance was by the Holbrook forward, the result was the ball in the back of Lavants net. This was all the encouragement Holbrook needed to make the last 20 minutes of the games nervous ones for the home side, but the defence held firm to take a deserved three points.

Team: Matt Bevan, Richard Gabb, Paul Jones, Matt Lyttle, Jon Wright, Matt Stevens, Simon Augustus, James Brooks, Aaron Hancock, Pete Caveney, James Sandford. Subs: Alex Holmes, Charles McLaren.

West Chiltington Reserves 0  Lavant Reserves 3

Lavant reserves secured their first win of the season with three unanswered second half goals to move 4th in Division III South.

The away side should have been ahead just before the quarter hour after a poor quick free kick was intercepted, but Lavant striker Langridge’s effort cleared both the onrushing keeper and the bar. Ten minutes later a long goal kick was misjudged by the ‘Chilt defence but Greg Ayling was just unable to reach the loose ball.

An injury to left back Matt Grace saw a reshuffle on the half-hour, but Lavant stayed solid and were restricting their hosts to long range efforts.

The home side started the second half brightly without really testing Baylis in the Lavant goal. Gradually the men in yellow began to take control of the game and, heeding the message at half time, started to move the ball around with more fluency.

On the hour mark Adam Yaxley was played through but denied by a good stop from Dann in the ‘Chilt goal, but Lavant were ahead 8 minutes later. A flowing move involving six players resulted in a clumsy challenge on Yaxley 20 yards from goal. Ayling bent the ball sublimely round the wall and into the net via the post and the bemused keeper.

Lavant turned the screw and scored again on 75 minutes. Man of the match Yaxley was again played in down the left channel and this time was brought down by a clumsy challenge from Dann. Ayling stepped up to convert the penalty and the away side were cruising.

Langridge was denied by a good stop when one on one, with Yaxley unable to convert the loose ball, but the striker made no mistake two minutes later. Another slide-rule pass into the right channel found the No 9 and he drove the ball under the advancing keeper and into the far corner.

The points were safe but ‘Chilt nearly grabbed a consolation when the ball was poked past Baylis. Neil Latham got back ahead of the attacker to deny a certain goal, ensuring Lavant’s second clean sheet in three in a thoroughly professional performance.

Lavant: Rob Baylis, Martin Smith, Henry Polack, Neil Latham, Matt Grace, Tom Parker, Scott Yaxley, Adam Yaxley, Chris Harvey, Greg Ayling, John Langridge. Subs: Don Polack, Will Cieszynski