Lavant started the Div V cup-tie in a lively mood and had some great chances early in the game to open the scoring.  Christian Swain should have punished the visitors after he met a Lavant free kick at the far post, but his header at close range went straight into the keeper’s arms.  With ten minutes gone Adam Yaxleys effort was only inches wide of the post, then moments later Ross Lines broke free of the Southwater defence shooting past the stranded keeper but again the ball went agonisingly wide of the post.

On 20 minutes referee Duncan Carter limped off injured and was replaced by the Southwater manager for the remainder of the game.

The lack of goals frustrated Lavant and their game started to suffer and with the loss of concentration allowed the visitors to start to get a foothold and on 30 minutes they could have opened the scoring but they were denied by keeper Stuart Eastwood.

Lavant should have gone into the break in the lead after Withall broke down the left wing and crossed to the waiting Yaxley but again his shot went frustratingly wide of the target.

Half time allowed Lavant the chance to regroup and this certainly showed through with their second half display.  On 50 minutes Lines met a Swain through ball but his shot when just over the bar.  At the other end a mix up between Eastwood and Giles Weller almost allowed the visitors to open the scoring against the run of play.

Then Lines clear through on goal had two one on ones with the keeper in succession and Jimmy Hird hit the bar, but Lavant were still unable to make the breakthrough.

Then with 20 minutes remaining Chris Withall won the ball on the edge of the box and unleashed an unstoppable drive into the top corner of the net giving the keeper no chance, 1-0.

From this moment on it was all Lavant as they piled on the pressure and 5 minutes later Swains exquisite through ball allowed Withall to race through and again blast the ball into the back of the net, 2-0.

Lavant now in the driving seat introduced fresh legs as subs Dave Morris and Dave Kent were introduced into the game.  Jimmy Hird again came close hitting the bar and Yaxley’s close range shot was saved by the busy Southwater keeper, ensuring the scored remained 2-0 at the final whistle.

Team: S.Eastwood, J.Strange, Blackman, Weller, Hird, A.Strange, A.Yaxley, Swain, S.Yaxley, R.Lines, C.Withall. Subs: D.Kent, D.Morris.